She is Strong.



She is strong.


This was the theme for our 2nd annual MAG Women's Retreat to Branson this year. We did a thorough study of the book by Havilah Cunnington called Stronger Than the Struggle.  Let me tell you...this book and retreat could not have come at a more fitting time. 





First, this book was about spiritual warfare. If you haven't heard of spiritual warfare, it's basically the idea of a battle going on in the spiritual realm. Some signs you may be experiencing spiritual warfare can be physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, etc. If you've been a believer for any length of time, you've probably faced spiritual warfare, or anything that comes against you that is not of God. 

Second, this book was very practical, which is basically the only type of book I'll read. I am not huge into fiction as I feel it's sort of a waste of time with the exception of a few series I really like. I'd just rather read something that will teach me about life, how to improve in certain areas, self-help, or anything that challenges me personally or gives me insight into life. 

Finally, the retreat was overall amazing because it was with my church family. That's what the church should be - family. People you can be vulnerable with, pray with, laugh with, cry with, and grow with. This retreat helped me grow out of this rut that I've been in on and off since pregnancy. 

Pregnancy can cause a lot of changes in your body, hormones, emotions, and everyday life. During brief periods on and off throughout pregnancy I've struggled with feeling depressed and even had bad thoughts of hurting myself or the baby. I know, it's insane to think about because going through the Mercy Multiplied program taught me how to overcome a lot of those negative thoughts. I hadn't struggled with them this badly since graduating almost two years ago. 

It's a scary world to live in, and it's scary to tell others what's really going on in your head. The scariest part was having to tell my husband what I was experiencing. However, I did it. I didn't go into detail as that would not have benefited either of us but we decided to pray each time those feelings or thoughts popped into my head (most of the time out of nowhere). This drastically helped and together, with God, we turned the darkness into light.

Prior to retreat, God had already started working on my situation. One night at church I was in a youth small group with some other leaders and my friend said, "Jesus died for you. He literally died for you so you don't have to." It really struck me because these bad thoughts would enter my mind every now and then. A few days later I thanked her for what she said and she confirmed that what I was experiencing was actually very normal during pregnancy. I was surprised to hear this because it seems very ironic, and sinful, to be rejoicing that you're pregnant, but also very disappointed due to not feeling well and hating the changes your mind, body, and emotions are going through. It's possible to be joyful at times, and some brief moments later to wallow in self-pity and negative emotions. She helped me feel that I wasn't alone and that these feelings aren't forever.

As I finished this book before retreat, my friend and I went through the YouVersion Bible app and did the 5 day devotional that went along with the book. It was so helpful to have studied and prepared for what God was going to do! It was the perfect timing for both of us and together we grew stronger because of it. Here's the link to the devotionalhttps://www.bible.com/reading-plans/9205-stronger-than-the-struggle-5-day-devotional 






At the end of every chapter Havilah lists a few takeaway points called "Empowerment Points".

Here are some of my empowerment points. As I was taking notes and following along with the video series through each chapter of the book here were some of my favorite things I learned: 


  • I need to break up with the lies I believe about myself.
  • Satan is not as big or as powerful as he thinks he is. He has faulty power, an optical illusion of having real power.
  • From my pastor's wife (led the discussions), "Let's not question; let's just discover."
  • We always want to lean into what Jesus said.
  • Peace is the #1 thing Satan comes to steal.
  • If you serve fear, it will only get bigger.
  • What the enemy cannot take from us, he will have us give away on our own.
  • The people who follow Christ are the freest people in the world. 
  • Overcoming fear = giving up control.
  • The enemy is an opportunist. He will wait until you get a moment of confidence and then try to throw you off and to destroy what God has just done in your life.
  • If we believe what God says, it becomes a fact because God's Truth is fact.
  • Quote from Rick Renner, "Most of the attacks the devil wages against you will occur in your mind." (Truth!!)
  • We spend way too much time filled with defeat. 
  • Is your time spent more on fighting the enemy or have you been LIVING?
  • Jesus never asks a question without having a miracle answer.
  • I can't do everything but I can do something.
  • Your season and miracle will never be like anybody else's. 
  • Jesus prepared 30 years for a 3 year ministry. 
  • Offense will come. It's a matter of when and how we deal with it.
  • How we handle offense will speak to others who don't know Christ.
  • Everything we have is borrowed from God.
  • Some days will be $14 days and some days will be $20 moments (of extra blessings!)
  • Be okay with good enough. (LOVE THIS! Nothing in life is perfect.)
  • God cares more about how we do it rather than what we do.
  • Valuing your spouse does spiritual damage to the enemy.
  • With God my needs are always fulfilled; I am never in lack; everything I need is available to me." (This is a core fear of the Enneagram Type 5.)

"I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord    in the land of the living!" Psalm 27:13






Comments

Popular Posts